The Los Angeles Rams will take the field for their first of two games against their NFC West division rival Seattle Seahawks this weekend. This matchup was supposed to help the Rams pad their division lead en route to another playoff berth in 2022, but instead we are left with a role reversal - against the odds the Seahawks are neck and neck with the San Francisco 49ers.
Matthew Stafford and Aaron Donald have already been ruled out in Week 13. Los Angeles has already shut down receivers Cooper Kupp and Allen Robinson for the season.
But giving up is never the answer. Shutting Stafford down out of fear he might suffer another concussion and contemplate retirement after the season is misguided. There is risk and danger involved each time an individual player steps out on to the football field. Stafford could take a hit in Week 5 next year and we could be having all these same conversations yet again.
It’s time for the Rams to seriously invest in a quarterback for the future. Will Levis of Kentucky has been in thought of at times this draft cycle as a potential top 10 draft pick, but his stock seems to be cooling off of late. It’s possible that the Rams could reunite Levis with his former offensive coordinator at Kentucky, Liam Coen, at the top of the second round as the understudy - and heir apparent - to Matthew Stafford.
Draft experts have compared Levis to Stafford already, so pairing the two in Los Angeles seems to make a lot of sense. Sean McVay and Coen understand that Levis is already a fit in their offensive system, and they likely have time to groom the toolsy passer into their quarterback of the future.
2023 is likely to bring a great deal of change for this franchise, and the remaining six games are an opportunity for the team to assess who deserves to be a part of the future.
Kenneth Arthur & JB Scott discuss the Rams’ remaining schedule and much more on this installment of Turf Show Times: The Podcast.
- What to talk about when the wins don’t matter as much?
- Can sliding Seahawks end their two-game losing streak?
- Future of RB position for Rams is uncertain - could they draft a workhorse like Bijan Robinson?
- Would Rams re-unite OC Liam Coen with quarterback Will Levis through draft?
- Why fans of Levis need to proceed with caution
- Matthew Stafford’s health and to sit or not to sit
- Should Rams’ next franchise QB be mobile?
- It’s a bleak list of free agent and tradeable WR’s this offseason
- Could Tee Higgins be a prime trade target for LA?
- Previewing LA’s remaining schedule
- Playing spoiler against Seahawks, Chargers
- Defending home turf in Battle for LA