Here are a few interesting stories around college football:
- On Friday night, Coastal Carolina quarterback Grayson McCall went 17-of-21 for and so far this season he is 33-of-40 for 507 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT with a rushing touchdown for the 2-0 Chanticleers.
- Utah State WR Deven Thompkins had a big night on Friday and has 16 catches for 266 yards through the first two games. Thompkins may be known as “the next Tutu Atwell” as he is roughly the same size at 5’8 and 155 lbs, but appears to be lightning fast with great hands. Thompkins is a father of two and just generally seems like a solid dude.
Utah State WR Deven Thompkins— Kevin (@Daboys_22) September 10, 2021
8 REC 94 YDS 1 TDpic.twitter.com/bdYqzbcz1q
- Heisman hopeful QB J.T. Daniels is hoping to play through an oblique injury for Georgia today. If not, redshirt freshman Carson Beck might get the opportunity to play for the national title contenders on Saturday.
- All eyes will be on Texas RB Bijan Robinson every week. He broke all kinds of Texas high school records and has been dominant since joining the Longhorns as a true freshman last year. Texas plays Arkansas this afternoon.
- Keep an eye on Buffalo QB Kyle Vantrease, if for no other reason than he was recently one of college football’s only quarterbacks/punters. (He was not a good punter, however.) He is a decent quarterback though and they play Nebraska.
- If you somehow et a chance to check out Ferris State, keep an eye on quarterback Jared Bernhardt; the senior went 12-of-14 for 218 yards with 3 TD and 1 INT, plus 120 rushing yards with 4 more touchdowns in the first football game he’s played in since high school. Why the long break? Bernhardt was busying being the best lacrosse player in the country at Maryland.
- QB Bailey Zappe is one of the greatest FBS players in history and he made his FCS debut with Western Kentucky last week. His first message to the league: 424 yards and 7 passing touchdowns against UT Martin. Zappe dominated lower-level competition but he did put up over 500 yards against Texas Tech while playing with Houston Baptist last season.
- Fresno State’s Arron Mosby went from a 196 lb two-star recruit at wide receiver to nearly 250 lbs now that he’s at safety. Mosby had 3.5 TFL against Oregon last week.
- Stanford named QB Tanner McKee as the starter, a week after he went 15-of-18 for 118 yards and 1 TD in relief. The 6’6 McKee was touted as the next-best option after Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields a few years ago, but he missed two seasons while serving a mission in Brazil.
- LSU head coach Ed Orgeron will be facing a team QB’d by his son today.
- Florida State QB McKenzie Milton is back several years after going 22-0 as UCF’s starter over a two-year span, then suffering a devastating injury.
- QBs looking to bounce back this week: Spencer Rattler, Michael Penix, Sam Howell, DJ Uiagalelei.
The Rams host the Bears on Sunday Night Football, also.
Talk about NCAA football or just air out your thoughts on the Rams!