Monday was day five of Los Angeles Rams training camp and I went over to UC Irvine to see the action in person, as I have every year since the team moved back to LA in 2016. After a day off and before the pads come out, here are 13 observations of the days work:
- Cooper Kupp and Tyler Higbee are the main targets during 7 on 7 drills. Both connected with Matthew Stafford on multiple plays.
- The first downfield connection of 11 on 11 drills was an outside completion from Stafford to DeSean Jackson. Jackson had enough room to remain in bounds and start advancing upfield.
- The two safeties with the starters were Jordan Fuller and Taylor Rapp. Terrell Burgess took reps mainly with the twos but rotated in a few with the ones.
- Rookie WR Ben Skowronek showed up a few times with completions from John Wolford, including one catch on a deep out against the defensive starters.
- During 11 on 11 drills, Stafford spread the ball around and hit multiple targets and near every part of the field. Kupp in the flat, Robert Woods on a deep cross, Van Jefferson on an out and the aforementioned hit to Jackson. Jefferson took most of the WR3 starting reps.
- Jordan Fuller had a nice pass break up on a red zone play.
- Jalen Ramsey intercepted a Wolford pass on a comeback route that got the fans and the entire defense hyped up.
- The Stafford to Higbee connection looked strong as the they hooked up during all three periods, 7 on 7, two minute offense, and red zone.
- The starting interior offensive lineman all day were David Edwards, Austin Corbett, and Bobby Evans.
- The secondary often lined up with Darious WIlliams and David Long Jr. on the outsides and Jalen Ramsey on the inside.
- One line up featured all three safeties Fuller, Rapp, and Burgess on the field at the same time with Burgess playing in the box.
- Terrell Lewis seems healthy and is taking consistent reps with the twos.
- Sean McVay confirmed during his presser after practice that QB1 sustained an injury to his thumb on his throwing hand that occurred near the end of practice. Hopefully minor.
What would you like to know about from the next Rams training camp?