Monday, I was back in Irvine to watch the Los Angeles Rams on the ninth day of training camp.
Here are some observations from practice:
- Van Jefferson had a great day. The WR caught multiple passes during each of the sessions and in different areas of the field. It started with one on ones when Jefferson connected on a deep go route from Matthew Stafford. The connection continued into 11 on 11 drills when Stafford came off of a play action fake and launched a deep pass to Jefferson who was over on a deep post with a lead on his defender.
- Also during one on ones with the WRs and DBs, J.J. Koski had a nice session beating his defender on multiple routes.
- Lastly for the one on ones, Robert Woods vs Jalen Ramsey went mostly in favor of Ramsey and Cooper Kupp won his reps against Darious Williams and David Long Jr.
- More Funk. Jake Funk seemed to get a good amount of carries today compared to previous sessions and compared to Xavier Jones. He looked pretty good on most runs with the twos and looked really good on one play while in with the starters catching a screen pass and cutting through space.
- Lots of screens and play action roll outs today. RB Darrell Henderson Jr., TE Tyler Higbee, and WR Robert Woods were all hit on screen plays.
- 99 Aaron Donald disrupts the starting offense. Even if he can’t touch the quarterback, Donald swats a Stafford pass to the ground and ends the play that way.
- During a red zone sequence, Cooper Kupp sat quickly in the middle zone for a catch and got the ball inside the five. On the next play, QB1 rolled out right and threw an incomplete pass too low to DeSean Jackson in the flat with Ramsey in tight coverage and what appeared to be an open back end zone crosser in Tyler Higbee. The Rams scored on the next snap with a quick slant to Higbee after which he bowed to the cheering crowd.
- Brian Allen took reps at center with the starting group. Austin Corbett was at right guard.
- Terrell Lewis and Sebastian Joseph Day did not practice.
Tomorrow is the last day of the ten day training camp and then the team will go back to Thousand Oaks to prepare for preseason game one against the Los Angeles Chargers on Saturday August 14th.