We don’t know who will make the LA Rams final 53-man roster yet and a lot of training camp / preseason football has to happen first. We could probably lock in about 45 or so names already, but those last seven or eight jobs will require a few fights in a few piles first.
This is my initial feelings on a potential 53-man roster for the 2021 Rams. There will be picks that are proven to be INCORRECT when the time comes, but this is a feeling for how things could go when time comes in September.
QB - Matthew Stafford, John Wolford
RB - Darrell Henderson, Xavier Jones, Jake Funk, “Waiver Wire Pickup”
WR - Cooper Kupp, Robert Woods, DeSean Jackson, Van Jefferson, Tutu Atwell, Jacob Harris
TE - Tyler Higbee, Brycen Hopkins, Johnny Mundt, Kendall Blanton
OL - Andrew Whitworth, Rob Havenstein, David Edwards, Bobby Evans, Austin Corbett, Brian Allen, Joseph Noteboom, Chandler Brewer, Tremayne Anchrum, Coleman Shelton
Notable cuts / Bubble players
- It would inaccurate to say that these moves denote players who I believe will be cut. Perhaps in some cases these are simply good players who didn’t fit the roles I was looking for with this particular 53-man roster projection.
- I opted to go with a waiver wire pickup over Raymond Calais and Otis Anderson, simply because the absence of Cam Akers might necessitate veteran insurance that more greatly represents an “every down back” than Calais would — and some decent backs should become available down the line.
- This projection parted with Coleman Shelton, Jamil Demby, Jordan Meredith, and Alaric Jackson among the offensive linemen. Some will return on the practice squad.
- Trishton Jackson would be gone after staying on the 53 all of last season. Instead, Harris sticks with the wide receiver room for now and the tight end group gets a little bigger because we don’t really know what to expect from Hopkins. If anything happened to Higbee, the tight end position becomes murkier than the current situation at running back.
CB - Jalen Ramsey, Darious Williams, David Long, Robert Rochell, Brontae Harris
S - Jordan Fuller, Terrell Burgess, Taylor Rapp, Nick Scott
OLB - Leonard Floyd, Justin Hollins, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, Terrell Lewis, Justin Lawler
ILB - Micah Kiser, Travin Howard, Ernest Jones, Kenny Young
DL - Aaron Donald, Sebastian Joseph-Day, A’Shawn Robinson, Bobby Brown III, Greg Gaines, Earnest Brown IV
ST - Johnny Hekker, Matt Gay, Steve Wirtel
Notable cuts / bubble players
- Not every linebacker can make the final roster and in this case I happened to see what the defense would look like without Troy Reeder. This projection also parts with seventh round pick Chris Garrett, who would make it to the practice squad. I wouldn’t say there are major surprises, however.
- One undrafted free agent slips through in cornerback Brontae Harris.
- Terrell Burgess is listed as a safety but could end up playing in the nickel slot role.
- Juju Hughes didn’t make it through this time.
I will also post a practice squad projection on Thursday morning based on these cuts.
Who didn’t make the roster and should have? Who made the roster and should not have?