The Los Angeles Rams are substituting their loss of four preseason games with two internal scrimmages at SoFi Stadium instead. They played the first of those two scrimmages on Saturday night, with the next coming next Saturday the 29th. Will Aaron Donald get five sacks again?
Will the Rams offensive line allow that many again?
While we should get a decent look at the team and how they felt about the scrimmage on Tuesday night’s Hard Knocks, I won’t imagine that Sean McVay is allowing any secrets or intentions be known. Here’s a little bit about what we already know from the first scrimmage, as told through J.B. Long, Maurice Jones-Drew, D’Marco Farr and Sarina Morales.
I’ll let you decide if these players are “winners” or not winners — it’s pretty obvious.
- Aaron Donald had at least four — maybe five — sacks and a forced fumble.
- Rookie receiver Van Jefferson reportedly looked good and had a touchdown. McVay called upon a rookie third rounder in 2017 to help the receiving unit and Cooper Kupp finished with 869 yards and five touchdowns in 15 games. Why not Van? I felt at the time of the draft that he was one of the more pro ready receivers, for what little that thought of mine is worth.
- Darrell Henderson left with a “soft tissue” injury. That may open the door for rookie Cam Akers, but he did fumble on Saturday night.
- Rob Havenstein looks svelte according to Farr.
- Farr liked the play of linebacker Travin Howard.
- He was intrigued by Terrell Lewis, the rookie edge rusher.
- Lirim Hajrullahu was fantastic in his SoFi kicking debut.
- Long and Jones-Drew praised the work of Nsimba Webster and John Wolford. The Rams may officially make Wolford the backup soon given that the two undrafted free agent rookies aren’t getting to play much. Wolford had two touchdown passes. Webster could be playing himself into a much more significant role with the team this season.
- Joe Noteboom at left guard and Austin Corbett at right. The offensive line had several procedural penalties.
- Positive remarks have been made about the Rams uniforms and helmets.
Our house. pic.twitter.com/r0jG3GQSl3— Cooper Kupp (@CooperKupp) August 23, 2020
Helmets? Beautiful.— Dylan (@TheRamsReportIG) August 23, 2020
Jerseys? Beautiful.@SoFiStadium? BEAUTIFUL. pic.twitter.com/UhyoHTByU1
@iamjohnthethird pic.twitter.com/LSyO84hb32— Los Angeles Rams (@RamsNFL) August 23, 2020