The first round of the 2020 NFL Draft is on Thursday and as of right now it certainly looks like the LA Rams will not be a part of it. Maybe that’s a good thing to let some of the other teams be the real beta testers of this new virtual format. There could be some other good things for the Rams too, perhaps even good things to fill their needs.
To talk about those needs in a podcast format, I asked TST writer Sosa K to hop on a Zoom call. With few technical difficulties, we did it. I’ve outlined the topics for you with a time stamp below. Follow Sosa on Twitter already (@QBsMVP)
In the episode we talk about:
- What are the Rams needs right now? (2:30)
- What’s different about drafting a lineman on day two this year as compared to LA’s last two drafts that haven’t work out as they had hoped yet, which has kept their needs the same? (5:38)
- If you could choose one lineman to be a Pro Bowl level player next season, besides Andrew Whitworth, who would you pick? (7:30)
- Are “needs” overrated? (9:10) — Followed by a conversation about how Aaron Donald was not a “need” in 2014.
- Does Sosa feel that the Rams free agent signings did fill important needs or should the money have been allocated elsewhere? (14:10)
- (IT’S AT THIS POINT THAT MY MIC WAS TURNED OFF FOR ABOUT 20 SECONDS, WHOOPS, AND THEN I JUST REALIZED THAT I SET THE TIMESTAMPS ALREADY SO I’M NOT EDITING IT OUT. 20 SECONDS IS NOT EVEN ONE PLAY CLOCK)
- How does the changeover from Wade Phillips to Brandon Staley change the needs on the defense, if at all? (17:00)
- How is the value this year in the second half of the second round and how does that value fit within the Rams needs? (19:40)
- Any receiver in the late second round range who seems to be a great fit for LA right now and their needs? (21:50)
- Why I think first round picks are overrated and if Sosa agrees (25:00)
- Why Sosa likes Josh Jones and Zach Baun if the Rams had a higher draft pick and we ponder if either could make it to 52 (29:30)
- What are the Rams needs in 2021? (33:00)