He told NFL.com that he has two meetings scheduled in Seattle with the Los Angeles Rams and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but he’s sure that “a lot of teams” will try to pull him aside at Saturday’s pro day.
You may recognize that name. It’s because his cousin Austin Pettis played WR for the Rams for four seasons.
Pettis hasn’t been able to compete at the Scouting Combine nor at Washington’s pro day on Saturday due to an ankle injury which he is rehabbing.
Now what does all this mean? Like Pettis noted above, a lot of teams are going to interview him as well as all the other Draft prospects. Don’t read too much into it. It does raise an interesting question though. With UFA WR Sammy Watkins set to reach free agency in a few days the Rams will have a WR spot open on the roster.
So what kind of player is Pettis? Here are my notes when watching his film:
- Devastating blocker
- Nuanced route runner, disguises routes very well
- Gets off LOS quickly with ease, uses hands to separate
- Quick in and out of breaks, great job contorting body at sidelines
- Strong set of hands that pluck the ball
- Terrific speed, sells fakes hard and transitions into his break well
- Terrific punt returner
Pettis is a solid prospect, and will rank as one of my top WR’s available. He would be a suitable replacement for Watkins if he chooses to leave.