Good evening, Rams’ fans. I’m not sure what got into me, but I posed a question on Twitter that has gotten many - and mixed - responses, so I thought I’d put it out there for my TST brethren, and see what you thought...
As an aside, the "Friday Night Fights" thing just seemed appropriate given the topic, the propensity for strong feelings and disagreement, and...well...the day of the week.
At any rate, the question is:
If you were the Rams, would you trade Nick Foles and the 2nd round [45th overall] pick to the Cleveland Browns for Johnny Manziel and Josh Gordon?
A few key things that need to be kept in mind...
* The Rams have two 2nd round picks. The 45th overall pick is theirs [which would be traded in this scenario]. They still have the 43rd from the Eagles.
* Foles is slated to make $8.75mil in 2016, and would count as $8mil against the cap if cut outright...which they obviously wouldn’t do. The Browns would probably need to be willing to absorb his contract.
* The Browns desperately [as usual] need help at quarterback.
* Nick Foles, as it stands, may not play a lot in 2016.
* Johnny Manziel parties...a lot. And he’ll probably party a lot in 2016. He may not play a lot in 2016.
* Josh Gordon gets suspended...a lot. He may not play a lot in 2016. He might not play at all [as it stands...he’s suspended indefinitely, but is seeking reinstatement]. To clear up any confusion, he’s definitely reinstated in this scenario.
* Just for statistics sake, take a gander at this:
- Brian Quick, drafted 33rd overall in 2012, is 26 years old. He’s played in 51 games, has 64 catches for 935 yards, and 7 touchdowns.
- Josh Gordon, drafted in the 2nd round of the SUPPLEMENTAL DRAFT in 2012, is 24 years old. He’s played in 35 games, has 161 catches for 2,754 yards, and 14 touchdowns. He went to the Pro Bowl in 2013...a year in which he had 1,646 yards and 9 touchdowns.
* And therefore, the Rams might struggle to find a wide receiver of this caliber in the 2nd round. As would most teams.
...so let’s hear it.