Matt Miller, Bleacher Report’s draft expert, released his updated 2015 NFL mock draft on Tuesday morning, fresh off the completion of the Combine. And with a little over two months remaining before the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are on the clock with the first overall pick, here’s how Miller sees it all panning out [two rounds]...
1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Jameis Winston, QB, Florida State
2. Tennessee Titans: Leonard Williams, DT, USC
3. Jacksonville Jaguars: Randy Gregory, DE/OLB, Nebraska
4. Oakland Raiders: Kevin White, WR, West Virginia
5. Washington Redskins: Dante Fowler, DE/OLB, Florida
6. New York Jets: Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon
7. Chicago Bears: Danny Shelton, DT, Washington
8. Atlanta Falcons: Shane Ray, DE/OLB, Missouri
9. New York Giants: Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama
And with the St. Louis Rams on the clock with the 10th overall pick, they select...
10. Brandon Scherff, OL, Iowa
The St. Louis Rams are facing another offseason of uncertainty along the offensive line, but this time they have an anchor in No. 2 overall pick Greg Robinson from the 2014 class and left guard Rodger Saffold. Now they just have to fill out the rest of the starting gigs.
Jake Long may be back in 2015, but he also may not be due to injuries and salary-cap room. Whether he is or isn't a Ram next year, Brandon Scherff is an ideal fit for this team. The Iowa left tackle projects best to guard, but could have a long, fruitful career at right tackle given his strength in the run game. He's technically savvy in tight windows and can be a dominant run-blocker on the strong side.
Fast forward to the 2nd round, where the Rams pick 9th...
33. Tennessee Titans: P.J. Williams, CB, FSU
34. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Benardrick McKinney, ILB, Miss. St.
35. Oakland Raiders: Alex Carter, CB, Stanford
36. Jacksonville Jaguars: Eric Kendricks, ILB, UCLA
37. New York Jets: Andrus Peat, OT, Stanford
38. Washington Redskins: T.J. Clemmings, OT, Pitt
39. Chicago Bears: Paul Dawson, ILB, TCU
40. New York Giants: Preston Smith, DE, Miss. St.
41. Devin Funchess, WR, Michigan
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Devin Funchess is going to wow folks this week. Go ahead and prepare for it.</p>— Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) <a href="https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/567356563019403264">February 16, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>4.70 for Devin Funchess will enhance the tight end talk. Of course, he could crush it on the 2nd run.</p>— Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) <a href="https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/569145143078428674">February 21, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Many are of the mindset the Rams will indeed look for receiver help in the draft, and it could be one of the team’s top priorities. It should be noted that the 4.70 forty yard dash time was the slowest logged time according to NFL’s official stat tracker
. Miller references his potential utilization as a tight end in the NFL. Lance Zierlein, from NFL.com
, compares the 6’4" receiver to Cowboys
' tight end Gavin Escobar
For more on Funchess, and his less-than-stellar combine performance:
A few things to note
* Missouri WR Dorial Green-Beckham, who some think may fall due to off-field issues, is taken 15th overall by the San Francisco 49ers
* Tony Pauline, from Draft Insider, recently stated the Rams could be eyeing linebackers in the the early rounds of the draft. Benardrick McKinney and Eric Kendricks, two of the top ILB prospects, both fall into the 2nd round
* Offensive Tackles Andrus Peat and T.J. Clemmings are both prospects seen mocked to the Rams at 10th overall. Both fell into the 2nd round [5th and 6th, respectively] in Miller’s mock.
* The WR’s still on the board in the 2nd when the Rams selected Funchess were: Devin Smith [Ohio St.], Nelson Agholor [USC], Phillip Dorsett [Miami], Breshad Perriman [UCF]