There was a time when St. Louis Rams rookie RB Just Todd Gurley was immaculate.
In his first four starts, the Rams' four games from Weeks 4-8, Gurley was a machine. In those four contests, he averaged 141.5 per game on a 6.43 yards per carry average. He couldn't be stopped.
And then, he was stopped.
In the next five games, those numbers plummeted to 52 yards per game on 3.66 yards per carry.
So it's no surprise that the weekly awards which he was up for so often in that early stretch dried up when the offensive line and passing offense did nothing to slow down the caravan of defenders aimed directly at Gurley's legs on every play. In those four games, Gurley was nominated for the Pepsi Rookie of the Week Award four times and the FedEx Ground Player of the Week Award three times. Then, darkness. Somehow, though, Gurley and new Rams Offensive Coordinator Rob Boras found a way to break through the Detroit Lions' defense in the second half of Week 14 helping Gurley finish with 140 yards on just 16 carries.
For the weekly RB award, he's up against:
- Cleveland Browns RB Isaiah Crowell: Had 145 yards and a pair of TDs in the Browns' 24-10 win over the San Francisco 49ers.
- Green Bay Packers RB Eddie Lacy: Ran for 124 and a TD helping the Pack over the Dallas Cowboys, 28-7.
The rookie list for this week along with JTG includes:
- Seattle Seahawks WR Tyler Lockett: Added six catches, 104 yards and two touchdowns to his impressive rookie campaign in Seattle's 35-6 pounding pounding of the Baltimore Ravens.
- Arizona Cardinals RB David Johnson: 92 rushing yards and 31 receiving yards helping the Cards over the Minnesota Vikings.
- Cleveland Browns OLB Nate Orchard: Had a pair of sacks in that Browns win.
Philadelphia Eagles WR Nelson Agholor: Had a 53-yard TD reception among his three catches in what has otherwise been a somewhat disappointing rookie season as the Eagles scrapetopped the Buffalo Bills, 23-20.
So go help show some love for JTG: