Editor's Note: FanDuel is hosting a FREE Week 9 fantasy football league where half the teams win cash on Sunday. New users only. Join now!
We're running a new league in concert with the other SB Nation NFL Communities this week with half of all entries paying out. New entries are free, and paying entries can also enter the $3 million Super League with half a millie going to first place.
With Mike Dietrich somewhere amid the ocean waves on a cruise this week, we were a bit light on fantasy content, though Dubs did update us on his fantasy team which always has some good info.
Here's what we're looking at for Week 9 in fantasy:
- Indianapolis Colts QB Andrew Luck continues to command a premier cost despite some serious flaws in his performances in 2015. Luck costs $1,100 more than Jacksonville Jaguars QB Blake Bortles despite providing the same points per game. And New England Patriots QB Tom Brady continues to be the top fantasy producer overall. With Washington heading up to Massachusetts today, there's no way to argue he shouldn't be the most expensive buy.
- At running back, the Rams rookie breakout superstar Just Todd Gurley continues his metoric rise into the national consciousness, piercing the glass wall of ignorability known as "Rams football". JTG's your top running back of the week despite lagging (pretty significantly) behind Atlanta Falcons RB Devonta Freeman in points per game. And facing a plus defense in the Minnesota Vikings, a JTG purchase may be more hopeful than rational today.
- Some interesting buys at WR. I'd be interested to see how many people spend $7,800 on San Diego Chargers WR Keenan Allen, considering he's on injured reserve...Interesting option in the Vikings' breakout rookie of their own, WR Stefon Diggs. He's posting the fourth-best scoring rate, and for that production is a great buy for just $7,400. But it's tough to go against the Rams defense these days. Similarly, it's tough to take on anyone involved in the Rams' passing attack, especially up against a solid defense like they're facing today.
- The tight end position in 2015: Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski is fantasy gold, and you've got a tier thereafter of about a dozen players to spot play thereafter. Rams TE Jared Cook isn't one of them.
- The argument you can make for Cook is that he's due, that a return to the mean is coming and that it might as well be today. I'd suggest you could make the same argument for Rams K Greg Zuerlein.
- There's an interesting juxtaposition in the two defenses in Minneapolis today. The Rams' defense is the second-best fantasy defense in 2015 behind just the Broncos. The Vikings have the eighth-best defense, but they get the Rams' fantasy-dead offense.