The votes are actually in, but nobody knows which NFL players will take home the awards given out on Saturday. That includes St. Louis Rams defensive end Robert Quinn, whose 19 sacks put him firmly in the running for the Defensive Player of the Year award.
Indianapolis pass rusher Robert Mathis is also in the mix for the DPOY award, with his 19.5 sacks that gave him the first ever Deacon Jones Award. Other players in the running include Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, NaVorro Bowman and Luke Kuechly. Notice the strong NFC West presence there?
The NFL Honors show starts at 8:00 p.m. ET on FOX (that's 7:00 p.m. St. Louis time). There's a red carpet thing an hour before that, which, yeah. The show itself is prerecorded, so it's possible that the winners' names could leak out sooner rather than later in the day (a very nice treat for those of us who would like to get some sleep ahead of Super Bowl Sunday).
Of course, the DPOY award isn't the only one on being handed out tonight. Here's the full list:
Here's the complete list of awards that will be handed out:
- AP Most Valuable Player
- AP Coach of the Year
- AP Offensive Player of the Year
- AP Defensive Player of the Year
- Pepsi NEXT Rookie of the Year
- AP Offensive Rookie of the Year
- AP Defensive Rookie of the Year
- AP Comeback Player of the Year
- Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year
- FedEx Air and Ground Players of the Year
- NFL.com Fantasy Player of the Year
- Bridgestone Performance Play of the Year
- GMC Never Say Never Moment of the Year
- Greatness on the Road Award
- Salute to Service Award
- Don Shula NFL HS Coach of the Year Award