How young are the Rams right now?
A total of 29 players, or 55% of the current Rams 53-man roster, are entering their first or second years in the NFL.— Jim Thomas (@jthom1) August 31, 2013
Philly.com released the average age of the 53 man rosters in the following chart:
Note that the average is for EACH of 53 players.
The Rams will likely be looking to improve the roster in the next week...
Rams at 53 now. Don't be surprised if they keep searching the wire. They made four claims and a trade after cut to 53 last year.— Nick Wagoner (@nwagoner) August 31, 2013
Just in this afternoon: the practice squad is taking shape:
Rams practice squad taking shape: CB Darren Woodard, WR Justin Veltung, S Cody Davis, FB Eric Stevens, DE/LB Sammy Brown. . . .— Jim Thomas (@jthom1) September 1, 2013
. . .OL Sean Hooey all expected to sign today.— Jim Thomas (@jthom1) September 1, 2013
The practice squad is now official as of 6.45pm Sunday. The Rams were also silent with respect to waivers. No one has been signed as of this time.
The Rams' practice squad: Mason Brodine, Justin Veltung, Cody Davis, Emory Blake, Sammy Brown, Sean Hooey, Eric Stevens and Darren Woodard.— 101espn (@101espn) September 1, 2013
Rams get no players on waivers. 19 teams assigned players. Patriots release Leon Washington.— Howard Balzer (@HBalzer721) September 1, 2013
The accompanying chart presents the Rams' current 53 man roster. Note that, due to suspension, the Rams have roster exemptions for both Isaiah Pead and Jo-Lonn Dunbar.
C Scott Wells Barrett Jones Tim Barnes RG Harvey Dahl Brandon Washington LG Chris Williams Shelley Smith RT Rodger Saffold Joe Barksdale LT Jake Long TE Jared Cook Lance Kendricks Cory Harkey Mike McNeill WR Tavon Austin Austin Pettis Stedman Bailey WR Chris Givens Brian Quick RB Daryl Richardson Zac Stacy Benny Cunningham Chase Reynolds QB Sam Bradford Kellen Clemens PK Greg Zuerlein P John Hekker LS Jake McQuaide DT Kendall Langford Matt Conrath DT Michael Brockers Jermelle Cudjo DE Chris Long Eugene Sims Gerald Rivers DE Robert Quinn William Hayes MLB James Laurinaitis Jonathan Stewart OLB Alec Ogletree Daren Bates OLB Will Witherspoon Ray Ray Armstrong CB Janoris Jenkins Brandon McGee Quinton Pointer CB Cortland Finnegan Trumaine Johnson S Rodney McLeod Darian Stewart Matt Giordano S T.J. McDonald Matt Daniels Susp Isaiah Pead Susp Jo-Lonn Dunbar
- Given the health issues of Matt Giordano and Darian Stewart, it is conceivable the Rams will be looking for help at the safety position in the next few days.
- Are the Rams satisfied with Kellen Clemens as the backup quarterback? Greg McElroy [formerly of the Jets], is one name to look for - if the Rams decide to tweak the backup position.
- The linebacker corps is short on experience - with four rookies [three UDFA's] making the roster. The Rams may look to bolster this unit - with Jo-Lonn Dunbar suspended for the first 4 games.
- The Rams' offensive line depth is light on experience. The Rams may be looking to add a veteran presence to the roster before the season begins.
- Of the 17 players the Rams have drafted during the Fisher regime, 15 still remain with the team. The Rams have also added 11 UDFA's to the roster in the same time-frame.
It will not be surprising if the roster changes before the season starts. Les Snead and Jeff Fisher will be doing what they do best: putting the best team possible on the field - using every means available to them.