We still have a long way to go before teams have to start cutting down their roster. The final 53-man rosters are not due until after Labor Day weekend. Much could change between now and then, but with the first preseason game out of the way (thank God), it offered a good chance to offer a first prediction for what the final cut will look like for the St. Louis Rams.
A few thoughts about the roster that I have predicted.
- I don't think there's any chance the Rams go into the season without three quarterbacks on the roster, not with the offensive line still a question mark and not with Bradford continually reminding the media that his ankle is not 100 percent.
- Want to predict the fringes of the roster? Keep a close eye on special teams. The bottom of the depth chart at positions like defensive backs, linebackers, receivers, etc. will be determined by who stands out on special teams.
- The tight end race is a tough one to predict. They will obviously look for someone who specializes as a blocker. Kendricks is a good enough blocker - he's actually very good - that they could opt for another receiving type over Hoomanawanui.
- We'll have LOTS more on the receiver race, but it's going to be tough to move on without Austin Pettis, especially since he plays special teams. He does have a two game suspension to serve, which could alter what the unit looks like prior to the start of the season.
- That's 10 offensive linemen and nine defensive linemen for the Rams in this scenario.
QB: Sam Bradford, Kellen Clemens, Austin Davis
RB: Steven Jackson, Isaiah Pead, Ovie Mughelli (FB)
TE: Lance Kendricks, Michael Hoomanawanui, Matthew Mulligan
WR: Danny Amendola, Steve Smith, Brandon Gibson, Chris Givens, Brian Quick, Austin Pettis
OL: Rodger Saffold, Quinn Ojinnaka, Scott Wells, Robert Turner, Harvey Dahl, Barry Richardson, Jason Smith, Rokevious Watkins, Bryan Mattison, Jose Valdez
DE: Chris Long, Robert Quinn, William Hayes, Eugene Sims
DT: Michael Brockers, Kendall Langford, Trevor Laws, Jermelle Cudjo, Matt Conrath
LB: James Laurinaitis, Jo-Lonn Dunbar, Mario Haggan, Rocky McIntosh, Aaron Brown, Sammy Brown
S: Quintin Mikell, Darian Stewart, Craig Dahl, Rodney McLeod
CB: Cortland Finnegan, Janoris Jenkins, Bradley Fletcher, Trumaine Johnson, Jerome Murphy, Josh Gordy
K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide