Free agent rumors, trade rumors...the frenzy has quieted for the evening. I suspect it will stay fairly quiet. It seems most NFL teams spent more time getting their draft picks signed today than chasing free agents. The St. Louis Rams certainly did, signing four late-round picks. And when can we expect free agent chasing to resume?
Tomorrow morning things should start heating up again, promise. In case the Rams inactivity on the free agent market is about to send you into a rage, chill. Very few teams are doing much of anything today. Plenty of players remain among all positions, including running backs and wide receivers.
A couple of notes to pass along...
- The Saints re-signed LB Scott Shanle to a two-year deal. Meh. The Rams have plenty of option among mid-tier linebackers.
- Given their reported interest in linebackers, don't be surprised if Na'il Diggs gets his walking papers. His pectoral tear from last season may be a concern.
- There's some low level buzz, but enough that I feel it's worth mentioning, that the Rams are players for Randy Moss. Personally, I don't buy it. No credible source has so much as mentioned it, so don't start beating each other up in the comments about it.
- Players and agents representing receivers have an easy play in the Rams, using the Sidney Rice talk and the conventional wisdom that they need a receiver to use them for leverage on behalf of clients. Don't hate the player, etc.
- Of course, that doesn't mean the receiver talk is all just to use the Rams to drive up prices. Besides, shouldn't teams know the Rams well enough to call those bluffs? Still, keep an eye on the Rams and wide receivers. There's enough talk out there to make you wonder if they aren't looking for another capable body at that position.