Today is Thursday, not just any Thursday, but the day before NFL free agency begins. Today is also the deadline for teams to tender offers to their restricted free agents, which we're expecting the Rams to do with DE Victor Adeyanju, OL Richie Incognito. The decision around OL Mark Setterstrom isn't as clear cut. Oh happy day. Keep checking back to TST for updates and commentary. Let's take a quick look at some news of note that could impact the Rams when the frenzy begins tomorrow.
- The Rams (and everyone else in the league) got an extra $4 million in cap space. For the Rams this could them some more flexibility with potential cut candidates Torry Holt and Orlando Pace...or it gives them a little more room to make some moves in the free agent market, which is still the more likely option for the Rams extra dough.
- Miami MLB Channing Crowder was considered a good fit for the Rams hole at MLB. Take him off your list. The Dolphins re-signed Crowder yesterday.
- In the wake of Bennett's release, we mentioned that the Rams may look on the free agent market for some a veteran, route runner to fill a need at WR without eating up precious cap space required for must have needs along both lines. Could that veteran WR be Giants WR Amani Toomer? One pundit thinks so. Really, Toomer wouldn't be a bad option, and would be a great mentor for second year guys Donnie Avery and Keenan Burton. That wouldn't make the Rams passing game particularly fearful, but enough that it could be mixed well with the power running game and TE Randy McMichael would is something like an extra WR.
- I doubt the Rams jump into the foray for any of the discounted (or not) troubled players, but one former troubled player that made the most of his second chance is Cowboys DT Tank Johnson, who would be a nice fit for the Rams need at NT.
- Looks like you can cross free agent SS Gibril Wilson off your list. This report says Miami has signed the former Giant. Watch this one. It doesn't square with reports that the Phins were close to resigning SS Yeremiah Bell. This could be a leveraging situation, either way. If the Wilson news is true, that makes Bell a top free agent at safety, and one the Rams will likely look into at least. For my money, I still like James Butler.