As if the Combine wasn't enough to wrap your head around, don't forget about free agency. Blogs are already buzzing with news and reaction to roster cuts and franchise tags. News, so far, has been slow for the Rams, with the only move of note being the release of SS Corey Chavous. But things aren't going to stay quiet. What kind of moves will the Rams be making in the next couple weeks?
The wackiness kicks off on Thursday, which is the deadline to use the franchise and transition tags, if a team opts to use them at all. For the Rams, conventional wisdom says Devaney will use the franchise tag to retain the services of FS O.J. Atogwe. That move will give the team's takeaways leader a one-year salary of $6.34 million, a relative bargain. A long-term deal for Atogwe might have been possible were it not for the transitions in the Rams front office, but we're not complaining about those much needed transitions. They'll have a year to hammer something out with Atogwe now. Atogwe would be a much desired commodity were he allowed to become a free agent
CB Ron Bartell remains a priority for the team, but isn't likely to receive a transition tag which would make him among the league's highest paid CBs. Negotiations with Bartell (and Atogwe) were said to be gearing up late last week. The Rams will still have through next Thursday, February 26, to work on deals with both players. The wild, wild west free agency period starts Friday, Feb. 27.
Thursday, February 26 is also the deadline for the Rams to tender offers to restructed free agents. DE Victor Adeyanju and OL Richie Incognito top the list of Rams RFAs likely to receive offers, but what kind of offers are they worth?
Some free agent links of note:
- Falcons CB Domonique Foxworth is set to be a free agent. The team would like to resign him, but he might opt for a nice sized pay day in a free agent market that ALWAYS overvalues and overpays CBs. He'd be a nice fit for the Rams, depending on their cap situation.
- Probably should cross Carolina OT Jordan Gross off the potential FA list. The Panthers and Gross are making "significant progress" on a deal.
- Cardinals LB Karlos Dansby is likely to get the franchise tag. Let the Kurt Warner speculation begin.
- As if the 49ers QB situation wasn't screwy enough... Could the Dog Fighting Hall of Fame QB be playing in the NFC West next season?
- It's not free agent player news, but free agent nonethelss, former St. Louis Rams offensive coordinator Al Saunders interviewed with the Cardinals for the WR coaching job last week.