With teams, mostly the Browns and Lions, making cuts already, the free agent season is unofficially underway...or least the roster construction-through-deconstruction phase. Right now, there is plenty of interesting fodder out there for some Rams armchair GM'ing, but mostly the news doesn't rise to the occasion of a full post. Thus I present you with some free agent-related links of interest.
- The Steelers have three, count 'em three, offensive tackles up for unrestricted free agency. Max Starks got the franchise tag last season, and might again. Marvel Smith, 30, sat out the season after Oct. 5 with back problems, but his agent says he's healthy. Competent and versatile backup Trai Essex could get starting money on the market. At, 26, he's worth kicking the tires on, and could be the challenger the Rams need at right tackle. \
- NY Giants backup QB David Carr was resigned by the G-Men yesterday. We had talked about Carr as a potential candidate to compete with Bulger.
- Speaking of competition for Marc Bulger, the Steelers current backup QB, Byron Leftwich wants to compete for a starting job. Could be expensive though.
- With 11 picks in the draft this year, the Cowboys will likely be looking to make some trades.
- Giants S James Butler might not be resigned. Given his connection to Spagnuolo and his business partner Tye Hill could we see him in a Rams uniform?