It's a sleepy Friday afternoon where I'm at, begging the question why am I here to begin with...
It's wild card weekend eve, i.e. just another Friday for Rams fans, and there's a few items of interest out there. Precious few, so I'll throw them into a hardy winter stew of football mish mash. Yum, yum.
- Not to be confused with the penny-pinching mentality of the city's baseball franchise, Rams owner Chip Rosenbloom told the Post-Dispatch that money is not a factor in the head coaching search. Say what you will about the wisdom of the contract's they've handed out over the years, the Rams don't leave cap space on the table. Also notable in the article are Rosenbloom's comments indicating Devany has the final say in the coaching hire. (Give them a year, and the Rams will be a better managed sports franchise than the city's far more popular Cardinals. Just wait.)
- The powers that be want a clear plan for improvement from Haslett as part of his job interview. First question I might ask: "what would do differently to improve the placeholder defense...the one you've been in charge of for the last three years?"
- Torry Holt led the Rams in receiving yards this season, like he has since 2000, with 796 yards on 64 receptions. It was the first time since 1998 when the Rams receiving yards leader has less than 1,000 yards. That season Ricky Proehl led the team with 771 yards on 60 catches.
- Those of you holding out hope for the possibility of the Rams chasing Matt Cassel can exhale now. Word is the Patriots will slap him with the franchise tag.
- Peyton Manning won the MVP. Yawn.
- Finally, a "what if" question to keep you up at night. What if Detroit takes OT Andre Smith with the first pick, and the Rams again get cheated out of the next Orlando Pace they so desperately need on the line?