So I gathered a list of names from various sources that stated who the Rams met with over the combine week. I think this is a fair judgment of the direction we will be leaning towards come draft day. So here's the list, in alphabetical order:
Blake Bortles, QB
Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix, FS
Aaron Donald, DT
E.J. Gaines, CB
Justin Gilbert, CB
Tre Mason, RB
Jake Matthews, OT
Calvin Pryor, S
Greg Robinson, OT
Jason Verrett, CB
My takeaways from this:
- All in all, we met with 1 quarterback, 1 running back, 1 defensive lineman, 2 offensive linemen, and 5 defensive backs.
- I think it's fair to eliminate Bortles from consideration. I believe the Rams were scouting him purely to do their due diligence in figuring out what direction the Texans might take in the coming draft.
- Assuming we stay somewhere in the top 10, there are only two names on this list that I feel justify a pick in that top 10: Robinson and Matthews. I am on the Robinson bandwagon and I'm strongly against us drafting Matthews.
- With our mid-first rounder, I think it's safe to say we might be leaning towards a defensive back. Gilbert had an impressive showing at the combine, as did Pryor, but I would personally love to have Ha Ha at our #13 pick. The guy fits the mold of exactly what we lack in our secondary. Granted, I think Pryor is more so the type of prospect that fits in Gregg Williams' defense.
- I would rather we didn't go in the direction of Varrett or Gaines. Although Varrett showed some nice athleticism and speed at the combine, I don't like the idea of a 5'9" cornerback in this modern day NFL. Gaines also didn't participate much at the combine due to injury, and his 5'10" height makes me hesitate as well.
- I'm a little irritated that we didn't interview with Ra'Shede Hageman. I like Donald as well, but I thought Hageman would be a great fit for our defense. Aaron Donald seems to be defensive tackle of choice in the first round by many teams at the moment. Also worth noting is no meeting with Clowney.
- No wide receivers. Not one. Especially none from the first round. Unless some smoke screening is involved, I don't think Sammy Watkins (or any first round wide receiver for that matter) is in the cards.
- I like Tre Mason, but he's projected to go in day 2. I hope we aren't looking for a running back that early.
So what did you gather from the meetings at the combine?