Since everyone will either have a draft grade or an opinion on their team's picks, I am going to take a different view and look at it from a fantasy football perspective.
Let's review the 1st round skill players;
- Tavon Austin - Rams - He was the highest player on their board and highest skill player drafted. But I will say from a fantasy viewpoint he is at best an end of draft flier, at his size he will be used in a situational manner and I also have a few doubts about Brian Schottenheimer using him in the correct manner to take advantage all of his talents. But I will say, adding him to the Rams special teams makes them a top 10 fantasy defense next year.
- E.J. Manuel - Bills - He was a complete reach and will have limited to zero impact next year. I question his decision making as well as moving from the nice weather of Florida to Buffalo. The Bills had a young QB need but I for one think they reached for this project. If you are in a dynasty league, he is a possible flier candidate to draft and hold for 2-3 years due to his running ability.
- Tyler Eifert - Bengals - The top TE ranked in the draft has wide receiver skills and I can see the Bengals going to many 2 tight end sets especially with their lack of quality WR2. I think there is enough balls to share with Gresham and Eifert by the end of the year will be a solid red zone target and borderline TE1.
- DeAndre Hopkins -Texans - This was my top rankd receiver in the draft who I thought could step right in and produce. He fell to the perfect team for his skill level. He produced at the college level against top teams and I can see him drafted ¾'s through drafts and putting up Wr3 numbers.
- Cordarrelle Patterson - Vikings - Minnesota traded a boatload of picks to move back into the 1st round for this talented but unpolished receiver. I did not have him in my top 5 Wr's but if they place him correctly they may be able to get 1-2 ig plays out of him a game. But with their limited QB and him being very raw, I would make him undraftable in one year leagues and last in the current list of skill players that have been drafted for dynasty leagues
- In One year and dynasty leagues I would rank above like this;
- Hopkins, Austin, Eifert, Patterson, Manuel
Thanks as always for reading!