Note: Sorry this is late. I was feverishly trying get this finished early this morning and it blew up. Blogger ate my homework.
August already! Only a week til we play the Peytonless Colts in the first preseason game. Can you believe it? Well ya better. This game is more interesting than usual since both teams stunk up the joint last year and have made a lot of changes that are yet to be tested. Our guy has two hard years behind him while Andrew Luck is still going thru the Rookie Break-in Period. (However, he did manage to do it without taking his shirt off.) So we'll see how all that pans out.
|No, no, no that's not it! URL Down! URL Down!|
Platoon Meets the Rams
I was rewatching one of my favorite movies the other day -- none other than Platoon. Even though it came out 26 years ago, there seems to be some parallels between what the Ram team and fans have been going thru in the last few years and what happened to the guys in the movie. >>> Lots of people suffering and lots of poor management at the top (Lt. Shoot 4 Brains). This was apparently the movie that introduced Charlie Sheen to the "high" life, so it was important for him too.
I figured I would take some quotes from the movie and sort of change em around to fit our situation of the present and recent past. I also softened the language a mite so as not to offend sensitive readers (and because Doug said to). So here's a couple, and we'll get to the rest plus some other stuff after the break. Thanks go to IMDb for saving me a buncha typing. There's about 10 - some are cheap shots of course, but this is war and football!
1) Sgt. Barnes (Gregg Williams): Talking about killing? Y'all experts? Y'all know about killing? I'd like to hear about it, potheads (PEDs users).
2) Sgt. Barnes (Jeff Fisher): Why do you smoke this poopie? So as to escape from reality? Me, I don't need this stuff. I am reality. There's the way it ought to be. And there's the way it is. Elias (Justin King) was full of the poopie. Elias (King)was a crusader (lousy corner). Now, I got no fight with any man who does what he's told, but when he don't, the machine breaks down. And when the machine breaks down, we break down. And I ain't gonna allow that in any of you. Not one.
See ya on the other side...
3) Sgt. Elias (Spags): I love this place at night, the stars. There's no right or wrong in them. They're just there. (faint clapping sounds)
4) Big Harold (Rokevious Watkins): I don't know brothers, but I'm hurting real bad inside.
5) Chris Taylor (Sam B. last season): Somebody once wrote, "Hell is the impossibility of reason." That's what this place feels like. Hell.
6) Sgt. Barnes (Trainer to the Secondary last season): Shut up! Shut up and take the pain! Take the pain!
7) Sgt. Elias (DC Ken Flajole last year): Police up your extra ammo and frags (towels and water bottles). Don't leave nothing for the dinks (9ers).
8) Sgt. O'Neill (Danny A before the Eagles game): Bob (Josh), I got a bad feeling on this one, all right? I mean, I got a bad feeling. I don't think I'm gonna make it out of here. You understand what I'm saying to you?
Sgt. Barnes (McDummy): Everybody got to die sometime, Red.
9) Sgt. Barnes (Paul Boudreau): Y'all take a good look at this lump of unsavory stuff (Jason Smith after jumping offsides). Remember what it looks like. You mess up in a firefight (get a penalty) and I gosh darn guarantee you a trip (around the field 5 times) out of the bush in a body bag! Out here,
10) Chris Taylor (Ryan Van Bibber): [voiceover] I think now, looking back, we did not fight the enemy; we fought ourselves. And the enemy was in us. The war is over for me now, but it will always be there, the rest of my days as I'm sure Elias (Spags) will be, fighting with Barnes (S. Kroenke) for what Rhah (Doug) called possession of my soul. There are times since, I've felt like the child born of those two fathers. But, be that as it may, those of us who did make it have an obligation to build again, to teach (blog on TST) to others what we know, and to try with what's left of our lives to find a goodness and a meaning to this life (while providing Rams schwag to contest winners).
See if you can come up with a couple of your own... I
Talkin about space junk - weren't we??? I forget stuff sometimes
I came across a couple of links to some interesting space stuff. First one is some photos of Space Shuttles being prepared to launch. When I toured the Vertical Assembly Building years ago, they said the building is so tall that when it gets really humid, clouds can form inside the building at the top and it rains. That only happens at my house after bean night. (I can make it rain up in heah, too.)
This second thing below is "a compilation of visual spectacles captured from the International Space Station (ISS) and set to rousing music. Passing below are white clouds, orange city lights, lightning flashes in thunderstorms, and dark blue seas." The music is by Freedom Fighters (Two Steps from Hell). Funny, we were 2 games from Hell last season. The lightening storms are way-cool.
Also, in case you haven't heard, we're landing a vehicle on Mars on Monday. So Marvin, we're a comin for ya!
Enjoy your weekend. Don't forget Rams Fan Fest happening later today! It'll be RAMtastic!