What will the St. Louis Rams final roster look like?
We still have a long way to go before teams have to start cutting down their roster. The final 53-man rosters are not due until after Labor Day weekend. Much could change between now and then, but with the first preseason game out of the way (thank God), it offered a good chance to offer a first prediction for what the final cut will look like for the St. Louis Rams.
A few thoughts about the roster that I have predicted.
- I don't think there's any chance the Rams go into the season without three quarterbacks on the roster, not with the offensive line still a question mark and not with Bradford continually reminding the media that his ankle is not 100 percent.
- Want to predict the fringes of the roster? Keep a close eye on special teams. The bottom of the depth chart at positions like defensive backs, linebackers, receivers, etc. will be determined by who stands out on special teams.
- The tight end race is a tough one to predict. They will obviously look for someone who specializes as a blocker. Kendricks is a good enough blocker - he's actually very good - that they could opt for another receiving type over Hoomanawanui.
- We'll have LOTS more on the receiver race, but it's going to be tough to move on without Austin Pettis, especially since he plays special teams. He does have a two game suspension to serve, which could alter what the unit looks like prior to the start of the season.
- That's 10 offensive linemen and nine defensive linemen for the Rams in this scenario.
LS: Jake McQuaide