Wow, the front page today spoke loud and clear. We're scraping the bottom of the barrel for story ideas. I don't think we should quite be to that point yet. Therefore, I'm throwing a few ideas that maybe someone with more technical football knowledge than others, or even more time than others can glom onto to create some interesting fodder for us to read. Just as a disclaimer, I've written a few fan posts over the past couple months, so I'm not just passing the buck here. But I do want to throw out some ideas that I think would be interesting reads with the hopes that one or two become stories.
1. There's tons of game tape of the players that we drafted. I would love to see someone break down some of Quick's tape, Given's tape, or Brockers tape and write about what they do really well, and what they need to work on. I lack the technical knowledge to dissect specific plays in enough detail to be worthwhile. Maybe Douglas M. or Van Bibber can hook us up with some better tape than can be had on Youtube? Maybe some ex-coaches or current football coaches can weigh in and break down specific plays?
2. We now know what our weapons are, how will they fit into Schotty's offense? Let's get nerdy here. We know what Schotty did in New York. Van Bibber wrote a great piece a while back about the Air Coryell system. Why not transpose that article, but update for our new weapons?
3. Specific match-ups we can expect this season and how the Rams will fare. We know we have Detroit coming up week 1. How well can we expect Jenkins or Finnegan to lock down Megatron? Again, would love to hear some coaches weigh in on specific match-ups we can expect to see this year.
4. Mis-matches. Same idea as above, but instead, what would be some mis-match opportunities? Some specific schemes that we may see given that we now have SJax and Pead.
5. Specific training regimens for some of our star players. What are these guys doing to get ready? This would be a piece for our lead writers that have access. I'm thinking about an article I read on Pujols and how he practices hitting. What specifically is SJax doing to get in shape. What kind of workout program are the rookies on to get into playing shape for year one in the NFL? What are they eating? What are they lifting? Who's now the fastest man on the team? The strongest?
That's all I got. I encourage you guys to submit some ideas in the comments section. We don't have to be in football no man's land for the next few months. There's plenty of minutiae to pour over. Let's get nerdy people.