1st round: #8. 2nd round: #10, 3rd round: #9, 4th round: #8, 5th round: #10
It has been reported that Miami is also looking for a QB so the Dolphins have been mentioned as a possible suitor to trade up for RGIII. For the reasons below, I believe we should make a deal with Miami if they offer an attractive number of picks PLUS Brandon Marshall. My rationale below not only applies to the draft but also to the fact that I think it makes sense to get an established WR via trade or FA (if you can afford it) rather than relying on hitting gold on the draft:
- Most WRs take a few years to develop (A.J Green or Calvin Johnson are some exceptions).
- We are in serious need of a true #1 WR (even more so if we don't resign Brandon Lloyd).
- It appears that there is no A.J. Green, Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones type of talent at WR in the draft.
- History says that the current staff knows how to develop talent at the OL without necessarily using high draft picks on offensive lineman so we may not need to use a high pick for an OL like Kalil.
- Justin Blackmon may end up being the real deal but I would pick up an established WR over any college WR who has not taken a single snap in the NFL.
- We would immediately take care of a wound that has been opened for too many years.
- It appears that Vincent Jackson will get the franchise tag and DeSean Jackson is also likely to get it (I am not a big fan of the latter one though) which reduces our options of plugging this hole at WR.
I don't think it would be too far fetched to believe that the Dolphins would be willing to trade their 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, 4th or 5th round pick AND Brandon Marshall for our 1st round pick. They would need to be aggressive to beat offers coming from Cleveland and Washington. Furthermore, if the Dolphins make an offer that does not include Brandon Marshall, I would counteroffer with a package that would include him. I would even settle for their 1st, 2nd and Marshall.
Obviously, I don't know if this strategy would fit in the cap. My guess is that it may not be possible to get Marshall and resign Lloyd (having both as part of our WR corps, plus Amendola and Salas would dramatically upgrade our passing game though) but finally having a true #1 WR on the roster would finally start giving Bradford a chance to be successful (assuming that the issues at the OL are taken care of).
As far as who to draft with the picks we would get, I would probably go BPA with a preference to cover the biggest holes we currently have.
What are your thoughts?
Thanks for reading and go Rams!!!