Its official: Steve Spagnuoulo and Billy Devaney have been fired by the St. Louis Rams after a disappointing 2-14 season.
Kevin Demoff, the Rams' Executive Vice President of Football Operations & Chief Operating Officer, held a press conference announcing their releases.
Taking over personnel decisions and scouting in the interim will be Vice President of Player Personnel Mike Williams.
The organization has a short list of possible candidates for both the GM and head coaching positions, but they haven't scheduled any interviews. Former Rams head coach Dick Vermeil and Hall of Famer Marshall Faulk have been recruited to help on the selection process.
As far as the coaching staff goes, all will be gone by February, when their respective contracts end. The only exception is Josh McDaniels - he is under contract through next year. Both McD and the Rams will take their due diligence to peruse their options. At the end, the new head coach will be deciding on his coaching staff.
It's been a busy day, worthy of a look back at all that happened.
- Players reacted to the news of the firing with surprise. Sam Bradford said that he hopes Josh McDaniels sticks around.
- It was reported that the entire coaching staff had been fired, but that was incorrect.
- The search for a new coach and GM began immediately today. Jeff Fisher is the most popular name being mentioned at the moment.
- Peter King said Fisher already had an interview scheduled. Kevin Demoff said that the Rams did not have an interview scheduled with Fisher, but that he could be a possibility going forward.
- Exciting news for draft fans, John Clayton said that the Rams second pick will be a hot commodity for trading this year.
- The TST pick 'em results are in!
- In case you forgot, there was a game yesterday. Eric reviews the performances.