The St. Louis Rams return to the gridiron today. They were supposed to play in the Hall of Fame Game in Canton, OH, this weekend, but, you know, that whole lockout thing scuttled that game. Instead, the Rams will play their annual preseason scrimmage for fans today at Lindenwood University at 11 a.m. today.
The gates opened at 9 a.m., and the free event usually draws overflow crowds. Props to the organization, by the way, for offering this for fans. I suspect with fortunes improving for the Rams, the crowds will be even larger this year.
It was at last year's scrimmage that fans got their first glimpse at the future of the franchise, as Sam Bradford all but cemented the starting QB job. What are some of the things to look for at today's scrimmage?
- Josh McDaniels' offense - Sure, we know it's going to be diverse, but what kind of patterns emerge?
- The receivers - Which receivers stand out today? With a solid dozen or so players vying for half that many spots on the final roster, every play counts. So far, early in practice, Brandon Gibson has looked like a man possessed. The rookie, Greg Salas and Austin Pettis, showed out well in practice too.
- Lance Kendricks - Somewhat of a controversial draft pick, fans and pundits have been pleasantly surprised by what they've seen in practice. He can line up out wide, in the slot, on the line and in the backfield, the versatile weapon the Rams need him to be. Keep a close eye on how they use him on the field today.
- Battle lines - the offensive and defensive lines got upgraded in free agency, how are those units looking?
- Secondary concerns - With Jerome Murphy likely on the shelf for the season, do the Rams have viable options for the third cornerback role? Does Al Harris have enough left in the tank? Can Justin King play up to the role? And how about the safeties? Adding Mikell made the Rams deep at that position. How do they play in conjunction with the corners?
- Running backs - We know what Steven Jackson can do, and he might not even play much today? What about new additions Jerious Norwood and Cadillac Williams?
Ok, if you're going out to the scrimmage today and plan on Tweeting updates, let us know so we can add you to the list. Also, be sure to share your thoughts on what you saw, who impressed you, etc. in the fanposts...we'll put your scrimmage highlights on the front page.
Below is our twitter list from the scrimmage, with live updates from fans on the scene. Here's the actual link to the list. Follow the action and discuss in the comments.