Is Trent Richardson the second coming of Steven Jackson?
Well with summer (and the lockout) in full swing, I figured today would be a good day to kick off some TST college football/draft coverage. This first post will just cover the things that pop out at me the most when I think about this draft, with later posts covering all of the positions, and a final big board before the college football season kicks off.
- There is an incredible amount of depth/talent in the secondary: Dre Kirkpatrick, Jayron Hosley, Cliff Harris, Alfonzo Dennard, Stephon Gilmore, Chase Minnifield, Morris Claiborne, TJ McDonald, and Robert Lester all have a legitimate chance of going in the first round, with plenty of potential for Ray Ray Armstrong and Kenny Tate to sneak into that group. Janoris Jenkins would have been in this group had he been able to stop smokin the ganja, but he ended up being kicked out of Florida and going to North Alabama. He could end up being a 2nd or 3rd round steal.
- Andrew Luck is amazing.
- There are plenty of recievers that could end up being number 1's in the NFL: Alshon Jeffrey, Justin Blackmon, Greg Childs, Michael Floyd, Jeff Fuller, and my personal favorite, Juron Criner.
- This running back class is the opposite of last years' class ( i.e more potential superstars at the top, not alot of depth in rounds 3-7). Trent Richardson, Chris Polk, Knile Davis, and maybe Cyrus Gray all have lead back potential. LaMichael James and Isaiah Pead should both be excellent number two backs.
- Trent Richardson is the next Steven Jackson. I am not the first to say this, and I will not be the last.
- UNC is going to keep churning out defensive talent this year, particularly among the front 7. Quinton Coples, Donte Paige-Moss, and Zach Brown could all be first round picks.
- If we don't come out of this draft with at least one linebacker in the first 3 rounds, I'm killing everybody. Zach Brown, Nico Johnson, Travis Lewis, Sean Spence, and Manti Te'o, Vontaze Burfict, and Luke Kuechly all could be studs, although the last 3 play MLB for their respective teams.
- For more specific breakdowns on prospects, I'm gonna ask that you wait for the positional breakdowns.
Let me know what you guys think about the 2012 draft.