Better late than never, hey?
Sorry 3k, didn't realise you'd post a mock today too, although I shoulda thunk it!
I'm gonna dive right in after the jump.
Few points prior to this metaphorical leap:
1. I am not going to be using any sources, this is all who I think SHOULD be selected.
2. This is not a mock that abides by that first rule too strictly...
3. Obviously, I don't think Akeem Ayers should go in the 1st Round, or certain other individuals should be selected so high, however, I feel this is a combination of what I feel may happen and what should happen.
4. Ignore the first 2 points, they were pretty useless.
5. I can't predict trades, and won't dare to, however! I will mention in the explanations which picks I feel are prime for trading.
- Carolina Panthers: Cam Newton, QB, Auburn.
- Denver Broncos: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
- Buffalo Bills: Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M
- Cincinatti Bengals: Marcel Dareus, DT, Alabama
- Arizona Cardinals: Robert Quinn, DE/OLB, UNC
- Cleveland Browns: AJ Green, WR, Georgia
- San Francisco 49ers: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
- Tennesse Titans: Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
- Dallas Cowboys: Tyron Smith, OT, USC
- Washington Redskins: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
- Houston Texans: Cameron Jordan, DE, Cal
- Minnesota Vikings: Jake Locker, QB, Washington
- Detroit Lions: DaQuan Bowers, DE, Clemson
- St. Louis Rams: Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri
- Miami Dolphins: Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
- Jacksonville Jaguars: Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
- New England Patriots: Anthony Costanzo, OT, Boston
- San Diego Chargers: Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
- New York Giants: Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
- Kansas City Chiefs: Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida
- Indianapolis Colts: Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin
- Philadelphia Eagles: Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA
- New Orleans Saints: Cameron Heyward, DE, THE Ohio State
- Seattle Seahawks: Marvin Austin, DT, UNC
- Baltimore Ravens: Justin Houston, OLB, Georgia
- Atlanta Falcons: Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue
- New England Patriots: JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin
- Chicago Bears: Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
- New York Jets: Aaron Williams, FS, Texas
- Pittsburgh Steelers: Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State
- Green Bay Packers: Brandon Harris, CB, Miami
- The Panthers select Cam even though they should pick Patrick Peterson (BPA). They're a QB starved team, he's got ridiculous upside and although he has never called a real play in his life (as evidenced by his Gruden QB Camp interview) I feel that they will over draft the Heisman winner. I predict a VY type career, and feel his best place for success is in Buffalo
- BPA. Patrick Peterson is the best player in this draft, the Broncos have solid 4-3 personnel besides OLB and no one warrants selection there at that position. Champ Bailey is aging just a little bit and there's no one better for Pat Pete to learn under than the Champ.
- I really want this to be Cam, and I believe they do too, but he's gone. So in comes Von Miller. Mocked way too high by everyone, including myself and feel that while an extraordinary talent, he will not live up to his draft position. Guys like DeMarcus Ware are the only kind of 3-4 OLBs that deserve this high a slot and I don't think there was this much hype around DWare as there is for Von. I'd love to see Von in the mid first and surprise everyone with just HOW good he has become.
- Marcel Dareus is the BPA and I don't think they will get a QB. Gabbert is not worthy of the selection (average QB at best) and Dareus will help their undersized DLine. No more getting bullied by other run games.
- They'd love Von Miller here, however, they get Robert Quinn instead. I'd be worried about the brain tumour, but this team needs a pass rush, and Bowers isn't going to give it to them in their scheme.
- If Pat Shurmer could have had any player in the draft for the Rams were he to remain OC, he'd have AJ Green. This guy is a beast and the sort of WR that will make Shurmer look like a better OC/HC than we ever ever could have imagined. This guy will help take the top off the defense and allow the young talented #2's in Cleveland to shine.
- I fear that Harbaugh is a smart guy, and knows that Gabbert is not the right guy. He'll wait for Luck's stock to fall. He's also an offensive mind, and so he'll draft the best CB remaining to deal with Sam and patch up the area most out of his direct control. I don't like this pick as a Rams fan.
- Titans are desperate for a QB. Kerry Collins or Rusty Smith? You gotta be kiddin' me! (Hello Mike Mayock!) They'll take Blaine and hope he gets good, as Mike Munchak is gonna have that line paving lanes for Chris Johnson and giving the poor footwork QB Gabbert ages to dilly dally in the pocket.
- They have Alex Barron.
- I see this as a perfect fit for Julio, Mike Shanahan's offensive system is perfect for him (btw. why is everyone called Mike?) he will excel there, his humility in such a big market a tremendous asset and despite the QB quandry, I just can't imagine they'd pull the trigger on a QB. They'd love someone like Dareus here imo. (wouldn't everyone though?)
- I don't think that Wade Phillips is going to have Antonio Smith as a DE in his scheme. I just don't see him lining up there on 1st down. Cam Jordan is a high character, good lineage guy and is a perfect fit in Phillips' scheme. I can imagine they like Cam here, or want to move back with anyone who wants Jake Locker...
- The Vikings should probably look at Jimmy Smith here, but it seems Leslie Frazier likes physical CBs (Cook and Winfield) and as such they will avoid him. Nick Fairley also makes sense, but considering the repeated statement of intent with regards to acquiring a QB, I feel they'll reach and break Seahawk hearts.
- Schwartz has proved that despite a glaring need at OT, he'll pick some defensive guys to play with. Bowers and Suh? I smell playoffs. The knee shouldn't be too much of an issue.
- I would hope we'd move back and select Pouncey, however, as I'm not doing a trade mock and the fact that it seems we'll stay pat, I'm mocking a man crush of mine, Aldon Smith, purely because I feel he is the BPA, best fit and this is the right spot. I'm not buying the Liueget hype.
- They need an RB, as evidenced by the Chargers and Bills last year, RBs still get picked in the top 20. Ingram's character and history is enough to get him picked here. Best of luck to him. Hope the Rams have been reading 3k's stuff on RB's and my wishlist and get one of my man-crushes in round 4. Miami should move back though imo.
- He will fall because of the one year thing, the flabby belly and the (supposed) bad attitude. I think Jax will love having a guy in there alongside Tyson Alualu as a value pick who can be a disruptive force.
- They need a tackle and I don't think that someone like JJ Watt merits selection here.
- They need an entire new special teams, but they only have one pick here and a coverage guy can be found later, so I went for some D-Line help, being in the Raiders' division and all. Some youth won't go amiss.
- They love D-Line guys. Pouncey may be considered here, but I'm going for Liuget because Cofield is an FA (and hopefully a Ram next season!)
- Aqib Talib is getting released and Jimmy Smith is the best defensive back left on the board. All this talk about a deep D-Line class is just lazy mocking to me. Who saw so many DB's going in the first last year? I didn't, so I'm trying to jump the gun and predict that this will be a warranted decision. In a passing league and a division with the Saints and Falcons DBacks are needed May trade up for a DE, especially with Bowers falling.
- Yes they have Jon Asamoah, who I'd have loved to be a Ram, but they also have a couple of old guys on that interior line. The youth movement continues.
- They need a tackle to protect Peyton Manning and I'm pretty sure by admitting he fucked up passing on Rodger Saffold (what a beast) he'd spare himself additional blushes by avoiding an identical mistake.
- This guy isn't a 1st round pick in my eyes but for so many people to mock him in the 1st and say good stuff about him there's got to be something to it... it's not like anyone's ever way off... *ahem CLAUSEN ahem* with Jimmy Smith gone here I just gave them a typical selection, although I can imagine they'll try and trade up for a CB to the early teens, should Amukamara or Smith fall.
- They need some beef up front and Heyward is beefy. Not a great pass rush threat, but no one really is at this point (besides 3-4 guys).
- No Jake Locker... they may move up for a QB, but right here, they're gonna go and get the tremendously talented DT from UNC. He's a first round talent and that seldom slips, teams always think they can change a bad character guy and at 25 they might aswell have a go if they don't get a QB. Carroll has previously drafted character concern guys because his College history means he can EMPATHIZE and be a FATHER FIGURE to the misguided souls. This MAYYYY actually work out here... *gulp*
- Houston has a real nice burst off the edge and Newsome will make this pick look like genius (should he do it)
- They need a DE and a number 2 WR, rumours are swirling about a move up, so they could go and get a WR, however, right here Kerrigan looks like good value. He makes up for limited talent with great hustle. You go Glen Coco!
- JJ Watt is a good fit here, fills a need. We all know the Patriots will get rid of this pick.
- Need a tackle. You can mix and match the OTs after Smith, it really is hard to see who is better than who (especially if you've seen as little OT tape as I have)
- Don't neglect DBs! They are in dire need of a FS and at this point a conversion guy with Williams' talent will look inspired. They may also move up or down.
- Another tackle, we all know why.
- Old secondary, this guy has talent and is a DB. DB's will sneak into the first. Just you watch!