Well, I missed both rounds tonight due to a military commitment. My priorities would have seen me at home; my superiors saw me working on a Saturday night. You're welcome, America.
In any case, I figured I'd throw out a couple quick thoughts on day 1.
- Al Davis is ruining the Oakland Raiders: There's absolutely no reason to take Hey-Bey at 7. If that's who you want, that's fine. Trade down to someone who wants Crabtree, pick Hey-Bey at 15 and take an extra pick of substantial value. This is how franchises are ruined.
- Aaron Maybin as the 1st DE makes no sense: I had compassion for Buffalo until today. They had a chance to take Brian Orakpo and took Maybin instead. If it works out, well done. If not, the reasons have become very simple. (see: Eric Wood at 28th)
- I'm really starting to hate the Giants: I starting to believe Nicks could fall to us in the 2nd until the Giants took him at 29th. Smart pick, but now I think they're assholes.
- What happened to Maualuga?: I was shocked to see him fall to us. I was excited to be able to put him in a Rams uniform. I was amazed to see us pick Laurinaitis. I put a certain degree of faith in the new front office to make the moves they think will assemble the talent they think they need to win. But I wonder why Maualuga went from a top 12 pick to a 2nd rounder, and beyond that, I wonder if the perception that he wouldn't be available means we didn't have enough info on him to take him over Laurinaitis.
- What the nut was up with the safeties in the mid-2nd?: I guess I'm glad we snagged Butler in free agency. Michael Mitchell and Darcel McBath? Before 50??!! I love the draft, but it's our own fault if we don't take advantage of these stretches. I feel like we let one get away in Maualuga.
- Early draft winners: Carolina, Cincinnati, Denver, Green Bay, Jacksonville, New England (ugh), New York Giants (ugh x 2), Seattle (ugh x ∞), Washington
- Early draft losers: Buffalo, Cleveland, Kansas City, New York Jets, Oakland, Tampa Bay