Rams news and notes to start the morning...
- Three new coaches have been hired. The team confirmed the hiring of Paul Frerraro as a "defensive assistant." The rumor is that he'll be the LB coach, which ought to be a better fit than special team coach in Minnesota was. The unfortunately named Dick Curl has been hired as the QB coach. Curl was with the Chiefs for that last three seasons, the last two as QB coach. He didn't have much to work with there, but, personally, I think he did an okay job coaxing acceptable performances out of Huard, Croyle and Thigpen, at least it wasn't just the QBs fault the Chiefs stunk. Chiefs fans are happy to see him leave. Frank Leonard leaves Kansas State as the TE coach, to join the Rams in a role confirmed so far as only "offensive assistant."
- Here's another mock draft, from Pro Football Weekly, that has the Rams taking Virginia OT Eugene Monroe over Andre Smith. Draftniks are starting to shake up conventional wisdom, and the criticism of Smith is that he might not have the mobility to be a top-flight pass blocker in the NFL. Baylor OT Jason Smith is seeing his stock rise as well.
- Another guy to keep an eye on, is Boston College DT BJ Raji. He really made an impression at the Senior Bowl, and his stock is likely to rise between now and the draft. If the Rams did trade down or even opt for defense with the second pick, the 6'1" 334 lbs NT really fills a need for the Rams.
- Here's an argument for the Rams to draft Texas Tech WR Michael Crabtree, who certainly wouldn't be a reach at #2. However, with an o-line resembling last year's Crabtree wouldn't get to do much.
- Could the Rams pursue Vikings free agent Pro Bowl C Matt Birk? He certainly meets a huge need for the team, and the Vikes are undecided whether or not to resign him with a rookie C waiting in the wings.