Here's a few time wasters if you need a break from your family this weekend. Hey, one week from tomorrow it's here. All the preseason noise fades into background. Over the course of the week we'll be talking lots about the matchup, so stay tuned.
- RB Lance Ball surprised everyone with a really solid camp. Unfortunately, he's probably just far enough on the other side of the bubble to be left off the 53-man roster. He is, however, almost a sure thing for the practice squad, unless... some other team in need of depth at RB puts in a claim when/if the Rams waive him before they can sign him to the practice squad. The Jets have cut Jesse Chatman and are left with just two RBs, Thomas Jones and Leon Washington. They could be looking for a third. Of course, Shuan Alexander might be a better option for a third RB, but a guy like Ball could come much cheaper.
- With CB Fahkir Brown still not working in team activities and questionable for week 1, the Rams will most certainly be looking for an extra hand at CB. It's being reported that the Giants will likely release veteran CBs R.W. McQuarters, 31, and Sam Madison, 34. As you can see both guys are pretty long in the tooth, but as veteran depth they could be decent additions. McQuarters returned 42 punts for the Giants last season and played in all 16 games. He had three INTs in the post season and hauled in another against the Pats in preseason play this week. Madison had 67 tackles last season and 4 INTs.
- DE Vernon Gholston was once on the Rams draft day radar, a little further down on the list. Gholston has struggled through the preseason with the Jets, and has been called their biggest disappointment of the preseason. They are working him at LB too. Interesting to note the struggles the young DEs taken in the draft are having, like Chris Long. I think with the talent these two guys have, they'll emerge, but it takes time. Remember when Mario Williams, drafted ahead of Reggie Bush, looked like a huge bust? Until he had 14.5 sacks last year.
- WR Donnie Avery has a sprained right knee, nothing serious, and he should be able to play at Philly in week 1. They'll evaluate him in practice this week. It is, apparently, an injury he's dealt with before, in his senior year.
- Five areas of progress, five areas of concern.
- Rams drinking games. That drink for every Drew Bennett dropped pass could get you in trouble.